[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] World War1

Ted Belke belketb at telus.net
Tue Nov 14 10:53:55 PST 2006

Hi
My Belke family who lived in Michelsdorf North of Cycow left their home on
16 July 1915. They were given three days notice to evacuate. They were first
taken to Ohrenburg and then to Saratov where there was lots of work on farms
and in cotton mills. They were well treated throughout their time there.
They remained until after the peace treaty between Germany and Russia was
signed in the spring of 1918. Then groups of families arranged for railway
cars for the trip back to Poland. They arrived back home in Michelsdorf on
25 April 1918. My mothers Matthews family who lived in Bekiesza East of
Cycow also left on 16 July 1915 and were directed to Kustanai in Kazahkistan
were life was very hard. Somehow my father found them there and brought them
back to Saratov where they also remained until spring 1915. There is a very
good description of the experiences and hardships experience by the people
exiled to Kustanai in the December SGGEEE journal "Siberia and Back".

Farms and property was not confiscated prior to departure. However
everything, except for some food, clothing and bedding that was loaded into
wagons, was left behind. Whatever was left behind was quickly looted and in
many cases the homes were also occupied by the locals. When the Belkes
returned the buildings were still intact but all other equipment, furniture,
etc was gone but the Matthews found all the buildings, orchards and fields
destroyed. Others who found their homes occupied had considerable difficulty
evicting them and regaining possession. All who returned regardless of
particular circumstances had no livestock, no crops, no preserves, etc and
so faced starvation. There were many stories about Polish neighbors, who
returned stolen property and gave back seed to give our people a new start.

This is the Polish experience which is considerably different than what
happened in Volhyenia.

Ted Belke