[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Passports or Identity Papers

DrVbuzz at aol.com DrVbuzz at aol.com
Fri Nov 24 22:31:56 PST 2006

It certainly has been interesting following the various postings  on passport
papers.  Here is my story much different than the ones  presented.

Fortunately I was able to find a cousin who was the only one in our  huge
family that knew anything about our family. I met her when she was in  her early
90s, and  her oral history proved to be very accurate in all of  our
discussions.  She gave me the following information which got me  started researching
the move to Canada.  Our family lived in a  couple villages between Rovno and
Dubno, they also wanted to leave  Volhynia.  They had no passports,  and they
were told by a nice Jewish  man named Karl Schulz that they could travel with
he and his wife under his  passport.  My cousin said that they arrived in May
or June  1902.  She also said that some family members changed their ages to
fit in  with Karl as extended family members.  In the mid nineties I visited
the Provincial Archives in Winnipeg and in about 2 hours I found the name of
Karl Schulz, his wife, followed by Julius age 9 (my father,) his  brother Emil
age 7, another brother Heinrich age 2. These three  entries fit and I knew I
had found the their record.  I was able to  identify other family members,
although no last names were used as my cousin had  said.  The ship's record was for
the SS Lake Champlain leaving  Liverpool June 10th and arriving in Quebec
June 20, 1902.  Seems very  informal, however, the record I found shows they
apparently did not have any  documents.

Victor Gess
Researching in Poland and  Volhynia
Gess/Jess/Jesse/Jescke/Jehs/Rode/Rohde/Wonnek/Wonek/Wonneck/Riske/Schmuland
Shinufka/Karlswalde/Satyjew/Moczulki
Plock/Kalisch/Karolinow