[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Help with town name

Donne, Alexsana ADonne at sara.com
Thu Nov 30 18:49:10 PST 2006

I have found a mention of my ggrandmother in an obituary.  Her maiden name was Margaretha Allmer and the obit said she was born in Ballis, Russia.  I haven't found this town so far. I believe her father's name was Michael, but am not positive.  Margaretha was born 8 Oct 1865. Her family immigrated  prior to 1893, as she married my ggrandfather in 1893 in Scotland, Bon Homme, South Dakota.

Any suggestions on what this town is?  One name that came up on jewish-gen was Balei, but this appears to be in a part of Russia near China.

Thanks
Lexi