[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Hamburg Emmigration Lists

Paul Rakow rakow at ifh.de
Sun Oct 8 12:42:30 PDT 2006

 Greg,

      The films can be borrowed from the Family History Centres,
 run by the Mormons. To find these films, look in their catalogue:

 place Germany, Hamburg, Hamburg,  (double Hamburg seems needed).
 topic Emigration and Immigration,
 title Auswandererlisten, 1850-1934

       They have filmed the complete lists and indexes, I'm not sure
 whether the web index has a complete index yet - when I looked before
 there were a lot of years not yet indexed, but the present site
 doesn't seem to say how complete it is.

      If you know the ship's name and approximate sailing date you can
 go directly to the films with the lists.

      If you only know the year, then you should probably start by
 looking at the indexes, most of which are only partly sorted,
 (all A surname people listed together, but not any more sorted
 than that - so if you are looking for a mister Aardvark, you still
 have to read through all the A surnames). The index then tells you
 which page of the list itself to go to. Some of the earlier years have
 a better index, covering 1856-1871 (so you can use that index for
 early emigrants, even if you don't know the exact year).

      One important thing to know is that there are two different
 passenger lists, one, called the direct list, for passengers who
 stayed on the same ship all the way from Hamburg to their final
 destination; and the indirect lists, for passengers who sailed
 first to England on a small ship, and then changed ships there, so
 that they arrived in the New World on a ship from Liverpool or Glasgow.

     The main advantage of the Hamburg lists is that they usually give
 better information on where somebody is from.

   -----

      As for your trouble with the web site - have you tried leaving
 all the dates blank, and just putting in a surname? (It's usually best
 to give as *little* information as possible to a database, and only add
 further information if the first search gives too many hits for you to
 look through.)

              Paul Rakow
               rakow at ifh.de