[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Where is Buczewie/Budzewiec? - Neumann Research

Ron Neuman ron at neuman.ca
Thu Aug 30 19:35:57 PDT 2007

I have been away for two days, and based on Jerry's recent email, I
realize that my message was one that "lost the text".

Let's try again - here is the text that I sent with the original
message. Hopefully it will make more sense now.

I have copies of the death records for a father and son (Johann
Neumann and Andreas Neumann) who are my ancestors.  The death record
for the father, Johann Neumann, is from the Lubstow Catholic Church
records (about 5 km south of Sompolno).  The death record for the
son, Andreas Neumann, is from the the Sompolno Lutheran Church records.

Copies of my translations of the records are shown below, and Jerry
Frank has looked at the originals and agreed that I have generally
translated them correctly.

My question pertains to the place of birth that is listed in both of
the death records - it is spelled Buczewie in Johann's death record,
and Budzewiec in Andreas's death record.  I suspect strongly that it
would be the same village.  Can anyone help me with the location of
this village?

Johann Neumann - DEATH:  Catholic Church records for Lubstow, Poland;
Microfilm #0,746,759; LDS; Death records for 1819; "Year one thousand
eight hundred nineteen on the 16th day of March in front of the
parish priest of Lubstow in his duty as civil registrar in the
village of Lubstow, district of Pyzdrskiego, in the province of
Kalisch, came Andreas Nowak, colonist, son of the deceased, age 50
years, and Michael Hermann, also a colonist, age 36 years, both
living in Wierzelin, and declared to us, a death on the 14th day of
March of the current year, at the hour of 12:00 noon, there died in
the house of his son; Jan Nowak, age 82 years, born in
Buczewie.  This document of death was read to those present and then signed."

Andreas Neumann - DEATH:  Lutheran Evang. Church Records for
Sompolno, Poland; 1849-1854; Microfilm Number 0,758,348; Death record
#188 for 1849; "It happened in Sompolno on the 7th/19th of September
in the year 1849 at the hour of seven in the evening.  There
presented themselves Gottfryd Neumann, farmer age 28 years, and
Krystof Schmidt, farmer age 55 years, both living in Wierzelin, and
they testified that on yesterday that at the hour of 4:00 in the
morning, in Wierzelin, Andreas Neumann died, widower and tenant
farmer in Wierzelin, age 67 years, born in Budziewic, son of Jan and
Krystyny Neumann. There was ascertainment by eyewitness concerning
the death of Andreas Neumann. This entry was read to those present of
whom the first was a son of the deceased and the second a    ?    of
the deceased."  The age of 67 years at the time of death would place
his year of birth as about 1782.