[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Saint Szczepan-Saint Stephan

Otto otto at schienke.com
Fri Feb 2 15:08:49 PST 2007

Greetings Gary,
No, I didn't duck the Szczepan question in my E-letter to you this
afternoon...
I decided it was time for a beer with an old friend and placed you on
hold.

I just returned from a visitation with my old Polish friend Felix
Wolanin.
(great meaty homemade sausage with the beer)
I inquired as to the frequent use of the Polish name 'Szczepan'.
Both Felix and his wife Maria immediately agreed that with them it is
an ancient name.
(they are both of the roman catholic persuasion)
One not used in place of Steven or Steve by them.

'Szczepan, pronounced by a Polish tongue as heard by my ear, is
"Che'pahn".
(kinda with a lisp at the start)(if my life depended on proper
Polish, I'm a goner)

It is the name of the religious Saint Szczepan, or Saint Stefan [L.
Stephanus]
They stated the festival of St. Szczepan is right after Christmas in
Poland.
(or was... they both scooted as failed freedom fighters in the '60's-
Poland's loss.)

Günther is correct in stating the German equivalent as being 'Stephan'.
German pastors could well have translated Stephan to the Polish
'Szczepan'.
I had an old friend from the territories, Heinrich Stephan.

The Polish suffix 'ski' still appears to be confusing to some.
Szczepan-ski simply indicates "from the estate of Szczepan."

After 1806 and Napoleon sounding the death knell for the feudal
system, individuals could now own their own acre of the good earth.
Many now added the 'ski'. . . After all, they were now vested
landowners. A fad, similar to Berliners adding 'ow' to sound more
Prussian in nature years back.
A question remained regarding use of the suffix. . .
Did they own the estate? or did the Estate own them?

. . .   Otto

             " The Zen moment..." wk. of January 28, 2007