[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] DNA testing for genealogical roots

Marcia Momose marcia_momose at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 25 14:10:37 PST 2007

Has anyone been Y-DNA tested for Haplogroup to determine deep origins?

I recently had both my Riedke and Baum lineages tested. Riedke was I1a3. The
I1a is believed to have originated in northern France and is predominantly
found in Scandinavia today, but it is also widespread all over Europe,
including Eastern Europe. Two unusual mutations showed that my Riedkes might
be from the east and not from Scandinavia. As yet, the origins remain a
mystery.

Baum is predicted to be R1a1 (not confirmed yet).
R1b is the most common Western European Haplogroup, and I think therefore
that it is found frequently in Germany, but R1a1 is predominantly found in
Eastern Europe with 56% of Poles having this type (and Ukrainians, Russians,
Czech, Hungarian, as far east as India). I followed the previous discussion
to this list about name changes from Polish to German and vice-versa, and
Baum shows up as Drzewiecki in some Polish records. Presumably, the German
name was first/original, but my DNA testing points to a possible Slavic
origin for Baum.

Has anyone else used DNA testing in their genealogical research? If so, what
were the results? I am curious to know what other Haplogroups are
represented in Germans from Russia/Poland. (We had the testing done through
Family Tree DNA.)

Marcia Ritke-Momose
Researching Riedke (Ridke, Ritke), Baum, Polsfuss (Polfus), Bresch