[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Proposal for a memorial page

Dave Obee daveobee at shaw.ca
Tue Jan 16 21:39:25 PST 2007

Nelson Itterman from Edmonton has an idea that might be worth considering.

Nelson says he would like to see the SGGEE website have a place where we can
remember the hardships faced by our ancestors. He notes that it has been
easy for many people to forget what happened in the Soviet Union between the
wars, with 10 million or 20 million people dying in the gulags, mines or
labor camps, or simply through starvation. These people came from many
different ethnic groups, including the German settlers in Volhynia.

The suffering has certainly been reflected in the EWZ files, which note that
many people were taken away. And of course it is reflected in the
resettlement documents from the 1930s, documents that are the subject of an
SGGEE indexing project.

What are your thoughts? Should we add a memorial section to our website?

Thanks

Dave Obee