[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Oberland

Richard Benert benovich at imt.net
Mon Oct 1 10:40:45 PDT 2007

Sorry, folks.  I've got another question.

On Jutta Dennerlein's website, Upstream Vistula, there is a chronicle of
Schlonsk written by a fellow name Mielke.  In it he refers to thousands of
Germans sent to Siberia in 1914 from an area he refers to as "Oberland".
It's a pretty vague term, and might mean, as Jutta suggests to me, merely an
area at a higher elevation.  But I still wonder if perhaps the people around
Schlonsk (located between Thorn and Wloclawek) may have had a more specific
region in mind when they said, "Oberland".  Any ideas?

Dick B.