[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Tatars - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sig Matt sigmatt at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 2 13:14:39 PDT 2007

Hello All,

  When you consider that other minorities as well as other classifications of people were also persecuted in that time frame then the saying "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" applies.
  Having had to survive 3 years of Soviet Administration, I believe that it is possible that such cooperation existed. The power of the State far exceeded the differences between religions.
While their is no question that there are serious basic differences between Muslims and other religions. Is it not also true that throughout history the animosity between Muslims and other religions was not always at a height that it is today?

  Browsing the Wikipedia page re Tatars I find a good example. Scroll down to near the bottom, find External links:
  Click on: 'Qirim Tatar Cultural Association of Canada'
  then about middle of that page (highlighted) there is a reference to a 'May 18-1944  forced
  relocation of Crimian Tatars.'
  At the end of that paragraph click on "click to read more"
  there it describes in detail the relocation order and the conditions of the move and that 42.2 % of the people perished. etc. etc..

  That article is almost identical to how my cousins describe their exodus from Volhynia to Kazakhstan in 1935 and also my father's family's relocation from Volhynia to the Omsk region of Siberia in 1915.

  I would hold that statement in abeyance until other confirmation develops.

  P.S.
  Growing up in East Prussia we knew Richard's Cousin Alice and her siblings. They were in an older age group so there was not that much personal contact. Also our parents were friends with Alice's parents They would often stop by Sundays after church and visit over a cup of coffee. Regrettably, I probably saw Alice for the last time in 1943, or there abouts, I was not aware of her being in Canada at the later time.

  Sig Matt

  Richard Benert <benovich at imt.net> wrote:
  In answer to Jerry's question about whether Christians would have allowed
Muslims to use their building, Edith McKelvy's note suggests that maybe
these people were more tolerant than we give them credit for, at least
occasionally. There's always the possibility that economics had something
to do with it. A few extra rubles for upkeep, and all that. Another
possibility (why oh why didn't I pursue this while Alice was still alive?)
is that maybe these Tatars had been converted by these Baptists. There was
a "spiritual awakening" in the area, I think, about 1926 or 27. But why
then would they worship separately? A matter of language, perhaps?

Then there's the possibility that Alice's memory was playing tricks on her,
rendering this whole discussion rather moot. I was hoping for some
confirmation of her story, but apparently there is none to be had. Anyway,
maybe we've learned a little more about Tatars and Cossacks.. Thanks to
all.

Dick