[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] civil & catholic gabin parish records

Worth Anderson worth_a at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 13 11:41:44 PDT 2008

Joyce,

Yes, absolutely search the civil registration records (available at the Plock State Archives) and the Roman Catholic registers in the area.  I've done a lot of research in both and can confirm that the German families who appear in the Gabin Evangelical records appear in these earlier records as well.  If you're looking at villages around Sady, check the civil records for the gmina of Zyck and the Roman Catholic records for the parish of Zyck.  The Zyck Roman Catholic records have been microfilmed by the Family History Library.

Also, I've recently discovered that a huge number of the families that settled in Sady seem to have immigrated there from villages around Rojewo, which was served by the Roman Catholic parish of Plonkowo.  References to the names Witzke, Zielke, Lau, Markwart, Steik and Ratz are found in the Plonkowo register.  The Plonkowo Roman Catholic register has been microfilmed by the Family History Library.

We could be cousins -- I have one Zielke descent.

Good luck with your research,

Worth Anderson