[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] MÜLLER / KURTZ / JANOTT from Grodziec ev.

Michael Stockhausen michael.stockhausen.ff at web.de
Thu Aug 21 12:58:58 PDT 2008

Does anyone know what happened to the missing church records of Grodziec
Lutheran (near Konin)?

In December 1832 my ancestor Christian MÜLLER died in Borowiec near
Grodziec. By 1838 his widow Katharina née KURTZ had already married her
second husband Michael JANOTT from Konary.
This means that the marriage Michael JANOTT and Katharina MÜLLER née KURTZ
must have taken place between 1832 and 1838, most probably in Grodziec
Luth.  I was hoping to find their mariage record, because it most probably
contains information on Katharina's birthplace and perhaps her parents'
names. Unfortunately there is a gap in the church records from 1835 to 1837
(and I cannot find the record in 1833/34/38).

Michael JANOTT died in 1850/135 at the age of 96!   Katharina JANOTT née
KURTZ was still alive at that time. I assume that she
was about 60 to 70 years old in 1850, so she probably died in the 1850s or
1860s. Unfortunately there are a few more gaps in those two decades, I am
therefore not very confident that I will be able to find her death record.

Michael Janott's first wife Dorothea Elisabeth KURTZ (perhaps Katharina's
aunt or sister?) died in 1832.

My first thought regarding the missing books was that perhaps they never
existed, e.g. because the church didn't have a pastor for a few years. Just
recently, though, I saw copies of two birth records from Grodziec from 1820
and 1822 - I found them in the Lodz marriage supplements (alegata). This
proves that there must have been more books than the ones kept in the
Polish State Archive and filmed by the LDS, which start in 1827.   So again
my question what happened to the records from 1796 to 1826 and all the
other missing documents?

Besides, does anyone have any additional information on the above mentioned
family?

Thanks and regards
Michael Stockhausen