[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Kepa Dobrzynska

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Thu Mar 12 18:35:49 PDT 2009

A Kepa (pronounced Kempa) is the same as the old English word holm or
hurst and means an islet or sandbar in a river, or a cluster of trees.
While most commonly applied to an island, it is often used for
settlements very close to the river bank as well.

The Wisla River has undergone numerous flooding cycles with some of
these islands disappearing over time, hence the disappearing of the
settlement.  I cannot back this up but it seems I have read that some of
these settlements were often summer time residences.  The islands
provided good pasture land so a herd of cows might be brought there for
the summer to forage and families would live there to take care of them.

I cannot come up with a good match for Lesin or similar in this area.
If you send me a scan of a document with the writing, I might be able to
come up with a better interpretation of what is there.  Perhaps send a
scan to Jan as well and between the two of us, you might get results.

Jerry Frank
Calgary, AB