[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Kepa Dobrzynska

Linda Marks Pauling lmpauling at utech.net
Thu Mar 12 21:11:32 PDT 2009

I interviewed a woman from Dembe Wielki/Gross Dembe in 1988. You may be
interested in her description of an island in the Vistula:

"A cousin of mine went back. He lived in the Vistula, directly in the
Vistula. There was a big island, and he was the owner of that island.
Sometimes when the ice came in the spring it was dangerous, but they have a
lot of land. And of course those willows grow from which you make baskets.
That was the whole income.
So anyway he went 5 years ago... And they went to see the old country....
And it is all flooded where I grew up. There is not one building left. They
built a big dam toward Wloclawek, and so in Dembe the houses were all broken
away, all flooded, the south side."

I do not know anything about Kepa Dobrzynska, but this is a picture of the
island.
Linda Pauling