[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Village name Widoncka

Gary Warner gary at warnerengineering.com
Fri Nov 20 11:33:38 PST 2009

Karen,

The name on a port of entry document is almost always what the port
official understood was said, rather than what the person said.   In
addition, the person who was standing in front of the port official may
not have been able to spell the place correctly either.   So you usually
have a significant problem in finding a place based on what is written
in arrival manifests.

I asked someone who speaks Polish fluently about the place name that you
mention.  She does not recognize the place name, and says that to be a
place, it would have to have a word in front of it, since there are no
place names that end in ska without some additional descriptor.   I do
not begin to understand Polish, since they conjugate everything, but
based on the locations that I have seen, they seem to agree with what
she is saying.   For instance, my grandfather was born in Wola
Wodzynska, which coincidentally sounds somewhat like the location name
you mention.   I can find no Polish villages that contains Widon...

The best way for you to get assistance from this group may be for you to
present who you are looking for with the names and dates of birth,
marriage or death of an entire family.

Gary Warner