[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Polish parishes and Polish place names

Rose Ingram roseingram at shaw.ca
Sat Oct 10 09:28:49 PDT 2009

Dave,

In my personal data I added the parish in brackets for my own reference, and perhaps should have removed the parish notation before submitting because I do cite the Church/parish source.  There is no need to reference the parish in the place description.  I use the description according the LDS convention which is similar to map I have, dated 1939.

But, Gorki is a very good example of why I noted the parish in brackets.  There are/were two villages named Gorki in this area.

One was between the towns Przedecz and Klodawa, a stone's throw south of Klokoczyn, and according to my map within the boundaries of "Kutno, Lodz, Poland".  Residents from this village would have used either Przedecz church or Klodawa according to their whim.    To confuse things further, this Gorki is very close to the boundaries of three former provinces of Lodz, Poznan and Wloclawek, according to my map.

The other Gorki is about 3 miles (5 kilometers) SSW of Klodawa, Kolo, Poznan, Poland.  I have been able to determine this as the village where my ancestors lived in the 1800's as well as other Germans.  I found my ancestors records in both Klodawa Catholic parish and in Dabie Evangelical/Lutheran parish.  It seems the winter babies were baptised and recorded in Klodawa Catholic and summer babies in Dabie which was quite a distance south.  This is why I added the parish name in my personal file.

I believe Chwalborczyce Holendry became known as Chwalborczyce, which about 3 miles (5 km) SE of Dabie.  There was a village Chwalborskie between these two places, about a mile south of Dabie.  Now here we go with the boundaries and three other provinces again.  According to my map Chwalborczyce was in Poddebice county, Lodz, Poland, but obviously the residents would have gone to Dabie church.  And Chwalborskie was in Kolo, Poznan, Poland, accordingly to my map.

There are a lot of villages in the corridor between Klodawa and Dabie and which were occupied by Germans and most of these villages were within Leczyca county, and residents used the Sobotka Catholic, Grabow Catholic and Dabie Lutheran churches, depending on time period and possibly the time of year.  Again, winter babies baptisms are in the Catholic churches which were close by and summer babies baptisms are recorded in Dabie church records.

It appears people used the church which was convenient at the time and paid no attention to boundaries.

I don't know if this answers your questions, or if you may be scratching your head a lot more.

Rose Ingram