[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Polish parishes

Günther Böhm GHBoehm at ish.de
Mon Oct 12 00:46:11 PDT 2009

Nelson Itterman wrote:

> > Hello Gary:
> > I do not want to confuse the issue, but was Volhynia not divided into a
> > Polish Volhynia and a Russian Volhynia? Or am I mixed up too? Seems to me
> > that the Tzar and Fredrick from Prussia divided Poland between themselves.
> > Nelson

Nelson,
after the first partition of Poland in 1772 - the only one in the
lifetime of Frederick II. - Volhynia still belonged to Poland, i.e. the
Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth which in fact was a protectorate of the
Russian Empire and object of its armed extortions. The second partition
of 1793 divided Volhynia a bit east of Równe into a Polish and a Russian
section. The Prussian king at that time was Frederick William II., a
nephew of Frederick II.

Günther