[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Chodecz / Mielno

Richard Stein ra_stein at telus.net
Mon Jan 11 15:55:43 PST 2010

Magda,

I did the extraction of German names from the Chodecz Catholic parish
microfilms.  I assume your ancestor is Euphrosine Abrabam, daughter of
Johann Abraham and his wife Kartharine.  I found a couple Johann Abraham /
Katharine who had children Jacob born 1790 and Kartharine born 1792, both in
Josefki.  The two couples could be the same and may have moved to Katy
sometime after 1792.

A problem with finding records on Germans around Chodecz is that the Chodecz
Lutheran (Evangelical) church did not operate continuously from its founding
in 1801, probably due to lack of a pastor at times.  In years when the
Lutheran church was not operating, the number of events for Germans
registered in the Catholic Church was high, otherwise it was low.  For
example, in 1817 there were 39 German baptisms in the Catholic church, in
1818 it was 3.

The BIG problem is that the very early Chodecz Lutheran records appear to be
not available, probably due to the intermittent operation of the church.
Thus, the birth record of your Euphrosine Abraham may very well be in those
missing Lutheran records.  However, Katy is quite a long way from Chodecz
and people may well have registered their births at a closer church as Jerry
just suggested.

Perhaps someone on the list knows more about the early Chodecz Lutheran
church books.

Dick Stein