[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Results from a visit to Warsaw

Paul Rakow rakow at ifh.de
Tue Oct 5 12:07:13 PDT 2010

    Hello Carolyn,

        How much do you know about where your people lived before Bessarabia?
  If you know the town, and know your ancestors practiced some trade, then
  copying the Artisan Tax book, (podatek od patentu) for one county wouldn't be
  too hard, or asking someone to look through one book for your ancestors
  wouldn't cost too much.

       I was surprised at how thin the colonist list books were, 50 or
  a 100 pages. I think that "colonists", in the legal sense of non-prussian
  settlers, given special tax breaks, were only a small part of the
  German population.

       Do you know Reuben Drefs, the Bessarabia researcher? I saw that he had
  been in Warsaw looking at the colonist lists about a year before me (there's
  a card with each archive item, signed by everyone who uses it).

                   Paul Rakow
                   rakow at ifh.de