[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Bierwagen / Schmidtke

Spaghettitree at aol.com Spaghettitree at aol.com
Thu Aug 18 09:31:57 PDT 2011

Hi Charlotte - You are correct that people spelled names any which way they
 chose (and many still do), but I believe Günther is absolutely correct -
the  names of Friedrich, Ferdinand and Valentine are three separate names,
rather  than interchangeable ones. If you say these names are all for the same
man, then  the only conclusion I see is that he was named all three, rather
than one  replacing the other.   The German people did not have "given"
names or  "middle" names as we are accustomed to.    As a generalization,  the
"first" name, often lost past the christening papers, would be the most
important, but not what the person was called - that might be one of those
names  you have, or a Koseform, and might differ according to who is addressing
him -  family, neighbor, work, local pub, wife.   Günther, correct me if you
 see that otherwise.

There simply were no spelling rules until around 1875 when civil
registrations began in Germany, and those were not necessarily followed  anywhere,
especially in the USA, until 1910-1920, and could change according to  the
many local dialects there, plus given the US attitudes toward  Germans,
penchant for Anglicization, ignorance, errors, deliberate or  accidental, and just
general evolution.  And someone in a Boston port of  entry might spell and
pronounce a name differently than at the New Orleans  port of entry.   I have
dozens and dozens of ways people have spelled  my name, but they are not
all misspellings.    The use and  disappearance of the umlaut is one reason,
the inability (or  unwillingness) for tongues to grasp foreign sounds is
another.    We have trouble with the German dipthongs, for instance; Germans
have  trouble pronouncing "th".    And the sound of a German  B is very, very
similar to the sound of a German P.   I have books  which have all the P's
included with the B's.  And all the T, TH,  DT names may be listed under D -
because that's pretty much what  they sound like, at least to German ears.

I have long been fascinated with names, and have a couple dozen books on
the subject.  The etymologies can be most interesting and  illuminating.

I looked up Bierwagen in Bahlow's Dictionary of German Names (English
translation) -

Bierwagen:  surname for a beer dealer, see Beyerkarre (= Bierkarren)  "beer
wagon" in Hamburg.
Similar are Krüdewagen and Smerwagen.

Since Hamburg was mentioned there, I looked in the 1826 city director for
Hamburg, but did not find any Bierwagens there at that time, in Hamburg or
Altona.

I looked in several others, but only found one, rather obviously referring
to it as an "occupation name" as opposed to a "personal characteristic",
physical or personality, name as mine is (combined with a location name
signified by the "ke" suffix), or a "location name" alone or "forename" or
"saint's name" or many others.

T. Maureen Schoenky - Missouri born, now in California USA

In a message dated 8/18/2011 8:40:59 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,