[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] germans from russia from ukraine and so on

Otto otto at schienke.com
Sat Feb 12 11:25:01 PST 2011

On Feb 12, 2011, at 3:15 AM, Krampetz at aol.com wrote:

> The Germans born in "Occupied Poland" from about 1860 on,  were
> told they were Russian,  and had to use Russian in their church
> documents.
>
> And I've mentioned one case of a German born near Lipno, emigrating
> before
> WWI,  told his grandson (who emailed the story to me),  that his  gf
> had
> never heard the word "Germany" until he came here.  He thought  of
> himself
> as "German speaking Russian"!
> I'd be interesting to hear that confirmed by others.
> Bob K.

They became Russian nationals under Russian governance. Nationhood is
a political construct built on a system of law to function as a nation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationality
One must take care not to use or confuse 'nationality' as a synonym
for 'ethnicity.'
Nationality is easy to identify. . . Who collects your income tax?

He never heard the word Germany? Most did not. Germany first became a
'nation' in 1871. Der alter Fritz laid the groundwork.Up to that time
it was a collection of fiefdoms as the core of the holy roman empire.
He may well have been a "German speaking Russian" instead of an ethnic
German with Russian citizenship.
On his naturalization papers what nation did he swear off allegiance to?
You must qualify his status for us.
Was he a Russian national, a citizen of Russia? Or an ethnic Russian?
Was he a German national?  Was he perhaps an ethnic German living
under Russian rule? What language was spoken at home in the
kitchen,'the kitchen speech'? Was he a Lutheran? Perhaps he was
Catholic as where many Germans in the large cities?  Most men in
Russian Poland were eligible for Russian draft under Russian law.

Many of the Germanics that emigrated to the States did not want to be
referred to as a "Pole."
It was similar to conditions in the States after WW1 and WW2, when
many referred to themselves as 'Americans' and shunned speaking out
the term 'German.'  My cousins in BC, Canada, who settled there after
WW2 claimed 'Polish' ethnicity to avoid the stigma of 'German.'

Many of the Germanic people in what is today's Poland were
multilingual. They had to be for day to day life.
My forefathers never set foot on "German" (Nation, national) soil with
the exception of My Dad. My father, with his parents, spoke Low
German, a mixture of Frisian/Low Saxon/Low East Old Prussian at home,
Luther's German, high German with relations outdoors then Polish and
Russian at market and with administrative officials.

What was the Germanic ethnicity of one's forefathers, (to name a
few)?  Homework needs to be done. There is a tendency to use the term
'German' in a generic sense.
Swiss? Swabian? Frank? Hessian? Austrian? Saxon? Flemish? Lower Saxon?
Frisian? Angle? Dutch? Danish?  Swedish? Norwegian?
Even then a pedigree chart substantiated with deep clade DNA testing
is necessary to attempt a scholarly approach to the answer if one
really exists for Homo sapien sapiens.

One must differentiate between Nationality and Ethnicity to clarify
the muddle.
Excessive nationalism can lead to 'patriotism.' (proud of the soil one
lives on)
Excessive ethnicity can lead to 'racism.' (proud of the blood flowing
through one's veins)
The effect of excessive nationalism and ethnicity combined, was the
force behind Nazism.

I'd included a definition of 'ethnicity' in yesterday's E-letter to
the ListServ.
Ethnicity.
1.	relating to or characteristic of a human group having
racial,religious, linguistic, and certain other traits in common

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germanic_peoples
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_group
http://odinsvolk.ca/GermanicPeoples.htm

For further reading on the subject and areas involved I refer you to
Albert Muth's excellent ListServ E-letter of: