[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Translation question

Otto otto at schienke.com
Sun Jan 2 06:46:32 PST 2011

Karen asked:
"I would like to know the meaning of: Kruggerechtigkeit."

Karen,
Begin here: At the bottom of the Heidelberg U. website's page are
menus, one can go to the next page or the last page—
click on the URL
http://drw-www.adw.uni-heidelberg.de/drw-cgi/zeige?db=drw&index=lemmata&term=Krugsgerechtigkeit&bd8_11=Faksimile

—
A bit more on 'krug' and krüger: Inns and innkeepers, similar to
German inn or tavern or innkeeper, 'schenke'.

 >"I am wondering about the Low-Saxon-derived family name Kröger. Its
German equivalent is Krüger. Both mean “innkeeper” or
“publican” and are based on words for ‘pitcher’ or ‘jug’:
Low Saxon Kroog (plural Kröge > Krög’), German Krug (plural
Krüge). In extension, these have come to mean ‘tavern’, ‘public
(drinking) house’ as well (including Low-Saxon-derived krogi in
Latvian).

This is analogous to Western Slavic. Originating in Eastern Germany,
the “German” surnames Kretschmar and Kretschmer are not uncommon
and occur here in North America as well. (Kretschmer is my maternal
grandmother’s maiden name, and she was clearly at least partly of
Sorbian descent.) “Publican” iskorčmar in Modern Upper Sorbian,
kjarcmaŕ in Lower Sorbian, and krčmár in Slovak. A pub is krčmy in
Slovak, while the Sorbian cognates seem to be lost. However, Eastern
German (used in [formerly] Sorbian-speaking areas) still use the
Sorbian loanword Kretschme, the Yiddish cognate being
kretshme(קרעטשמע, and ‘innkeeper being kretshmer
[קרעטשמער]) Apparently, all this goes back to an Old Slavic
cognate (*krugь?) of the aforementioned Germanic words Kroog and Krug.
The etymology of these are not clear but may have something to do with
roundness (e.g. Slavic *krokь ‘circle’).

Old English crōc clearly belongs to this group of words as well. And
what of Old English crocc and crocca. All of them are supposed to go
back to Germanic *krogu ‘jug’, ‘pot’ (> Old.Frisian krocha
‘pot’, Old Saxon kruka, Middle Dutch cruke, Old German kruog
‘pitcher,’ ‘jug’, Old Norse krukka ‘pot’ (cf. ‘jug’:
Latviankrūze, Russian diminutive kružka [кружка], the latter of
which suggests the non-diminutive form *krug(ь))

In addition to Kroog (for the container), Low Saxon has Kruuk < Kruke,
which German borrowed as Kruke. All this is supposed to go back to
Middle Dutch cruke which later became kruik. I assume that the Dutch
surname Cruikschank is the equivalent of Kröger and Krüger, more
specifically someone that pours libations for others from a jug~<"   —
R. F. Hahn, Lowlands-L

. . .   Otto
          " The Zen moment..." wk. of January 01, 2011-