[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] diacritics

Stefan Düsterhöft stefan.duesterhoeft at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 06:16:34 PST 2011

bronklimach at gmail.com wrote on Sun Nov 06 2011 12:46:16 GMT+0100 (CET)
> Many lists will use a~, c~ etc for the diacriticals which although
> looking rather messy at least seems to work for everyone.

Well, yes, to my understanding people would often use such a crutch if
they do not have the proper keyboard. But not using UTF-8 is much
different from not supporting it.

The situation was very annoying back in the 90s when people from every
region used their own ISO 8859-something. Since UTF-8 you have *one
codepage* for letters and diacritics of virtually *every language*.
And there is hardly any contemporary software not supporting it.

Stefan