[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Kraushaar - curly hair surname

marmel marmel at pctcnet.net
Wed Feb 22 15:24:57 PST 2012

Thanks everyone for the great replies!  Yes, the mother of Adolf Schmidt is Katharina Kraushaar.  I was first thinking the first name started with a "K" rather than an "L", but judged because it did not have the two extra hooks as the K in Kraushaar, that is wasn't a K.  Opps, my misinterpretation.

What I like about this group is the caring, combined efforts to help each other with another clue to ancestry.  Everyone has such a great mix of talents.

Drew now has another clue to prior generations. It's likely that Katharina Kraushaar (Krause) has ancestry with curly haired genetics (from an ancestor living sometime about 1200-1500 AD when last names and surnames came into use, and the curly haired ancestor was given the surname).

The old German handwriting is certainly a fun challenge when the a, u, o, look so alike, as does the r and v, and the e and n, etc.  Add to the mix individual handwriting styles, and I think I'll be studying it for a lifetime!  Two dear friends in Germany helped get me started on the old handwriting (one since deceased) and I will always be grateful.

Linda
in snowy Wisconsin