[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] British sounding surnames in current Poland

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Thu May 24 08:28:38 PDT 2012

Vera,

What you are trying to interpret seems to be dependent on how you interpret ethnicity.  Ethnic, according to the World English Dictionary means:
1. relating to or characteristic of a human group having racial, religious, linguistic, and certain other traits in common
2. relating to the classification of mankind into groups, esp on the basis of racial characteristics
3. denoting or deriving from the cultural traditions of a group of people
Your dna results reflect the #2 definition but the more common inference in our genealogy context has to do with #1 and #3.

I am not sure where you are getting the British inference.  Engler and Marsch are common enough Germanic surnames.

You also have to be careful about associating surnames with ethnicity.  It may at first glance appear that my Girschewski ancestors were Polish but they were ethnically German along with all the rest of my ancestors that I have found.

Jerry