[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Liverpool to Canada

Paul Rakow paul.edward.luther.rakow at desy.de
Fri Apr 19 09:51:42 PDT 2013

   Carol,

        I think the most common route for emigrants travelling via
  Liverpool was train from their home to Hamburg or Bremen; small
  ship across the North Sea (which was then often called the German
  Ocean) to an East coast port such as Grimsby; and then by train
  again across England to Liverpool.

       There were other routes too, for example taking longer trips
  starting from the Baltic ports.

       If your family came via Hamburg you should be able to find
  a record of their trip across the North Sea in the Hamburg Indirect
  passenger lists, which are on microfilm, or online at ancestry.com .
  Be sure to look in the Indirect lists - the Direct lists are for
  people who travelled to America on the same large ship all the way,
  without changing ships in Britain.

                  Paul Rakow