[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] "Volhynian German"

Kerstin Petersen kerstin.petersen at mail.dk
Tue Sep 10 08:36:13 PDT 2013

My grandparents ended in the northern part of Germany in Nordschlswig 1914. After 1920, after a referendum, Nordschleswig went to Denmark.
We all spoke german with our grandparents and people had no difficulty understanding the german they spoke and they did not have any funny accent.
I know the word schläfrig, but we also used müde.

We live very close to the german border and here is a german minority.

My grandfather was called “the russian”. Not because of his accent, but because of the way he drove his horse carriage. That was different from the danish and german farmers here in the area.