[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] County name changes

Beth Burke mackzie at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 11 13:17:08 PDT 2013

My sister is a Government Information & Data Services Librarian at Western
Illinois University, and she needs help with something that I have not come
across in my genealogy research.  I'm hoping one of you have run across this
situation because it could conceivably happen when we are doing research.
Here's her dilemma:

"I am writing a review of the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries web site
and I need some ideas to evaluate it. For example, if someone wanted to know
where a particular county was at a particular time period..Are there records
for people who lived in a county that you cannot find because the county no
longer exists? If so, can you please send me some names of those counties
with their states?"

As I said, I have not run across this in any of my genealogy research, but
maybe some of you have.  Please drop me a line with the country name (that
no longer exists), the country name that replaced it,  and the state where
all of this occurred.

As always thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Beth Burke

Verona, WI