[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] County name changes

Gary Warner garyw555 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 14:03:34 PDT 2013

Beth,

Here is an example of a USA county that no longer exists.   See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campbell_County,_Georgia

There are lots of counties are "daughter" counties that were formed from
parts of other counties, and a few, like the above, that dissolved and
became part of another county.

Legacy (probably only the Deluxe version) has something called the USA
County verifier.   It can be accessed through the Master Location list
(the button with the icon of a ball).   It does not seem possible to
print the entire list, but here are some examples of counties that no
longer exist in _just the state of Alabama_. You could likely type in
that county name in Wikipedia to find the history.

Baine County, Alabama  1866 to 1867
Baker County, Alabama  1868 to 1874
Benton County, Alabama 1832 to 1858
Blaine County, Alabama 1866 to 1868