[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] speaking Polish in Luts'k

Charlotte Dubay hoeserhistory at aol.com
Sun Sep 15 06:00:10 PDT 2013

Since Poland, after the first World War, conquered parts of Russia
(including Western Volhynia), your relatives from Luts'k lived in Poland
between 1921 and 1939. They also had to go to a polish school during that
time.

Klaus Leiss

Klaus:
The one aunt always said that she was born in Luts'k Poland - before it was Poland -
but I can see now why she said that. It was probably Poland when she grew up.

Her daughter, who settled in SK Canada, said that she (the daughter) was taught Russian in
school - and then only at the very end of their time there. She never mentioned Polish schools or
Polish language and I don't think she could speak it.

(Was probably 1940-1, because it was before the war really broke out.
They walked 3+ months to Germany, and she said her feet never were dry. The mud would seep
in around the shoestrings of her boots. They hid in barns to be clear of airplane bullets, and stole food
out of local gardens to live.)

Anyway, I know when my grandmother lived in Heimthal, before 1894,
the Russians did not want the Germans
to learn to speak Russian. They weren't allowed to even speak to the Russian overseers,
and were only taught German in her school. (and then didn't spend a lot of time in the classroom - not like
in Prussia.) Her family was more than glad NOT to speak Russian, because for the most part
they wanted to keep to their heritage.
Her German did have an accent to it, but the other SD Germans could easily understand
the family.

Charlotte DuBay
hoeserhistory at aol.com