[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Volhynia Marriage Records

Richard Stein ra_stein at telus.net
Thu Mar 27 14:27:39 PDT 2014

Betty,
Sigrid gave a good summary of Polish marriage records.  Marriage records in
Volhynian parish registers have less information than those in Poland.  The
St. Petersburg Archive records are a copy of the original parish registers
and in the case of marriages they are really only an index containing the
names of the groom and bride and the date of marriage.  Available St.
Petersburg Archive records go only to 1885 and consist of records from
Zhitomir, Heimtal, and Rozyszcze parishes.

Original parish registers of Rozyszcze, Wladimir-Wolynsk, and Luck parishes
to about 1905 are held in the AGAD Archive in Warsaw.  Digital scans are
available online at http://www.agad.gov.pl/inwentarze/KsEA439x.xml  Usually
the marriage records contain the names, ages, residences, birth places, and
parents' names of the groom and bride.  In the case of a widowed groom or
bride, the name of the deceased spouse is usually given in place of the
parents' names.  The record does not indicate if the parents are deceased or
if they are present at the marriage.  Many young persons married by the age
of 20 and so one can usually assume that they still lived with their
parents.  That a person is living can often be confirmed by seeing them
listed as a godparent on baptism records.

Dick Stein