[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Reading a Polish Record

Manfred Hensel manfred.hensel at koeln.de
Sun Jul 17 01:57:13 PDT 2016

Hello,
I´ve have not checked the mentioned record because I´ve deleted the link
days before,
but in birth records of evangelical churchs in Poland I believe having
recognised a system as follows:
usually the father of the child is the first person and he announce the
birth together with one or two
manly witnesses,
or instead a relative like grandfather or the father-in-law or in some
cases a manly neighbour, almost
always with a remark why the father is absent.
If the first person announcing the birth is womanly, the mother, a
womanly neighbour or the  midwife,
then almost always the mother of the child is not married and mostly the
father is not named.
In the case the legitimate husband is already dead while his child is
born you will mostly find either
the date of his death or the hint on how many months before he died,
I suppose to avoid any wild guess about the fatherhood,
but I have also even seen in very rare cases something like "... sired
in adultery" indicating in my point
of view that the priest saw the morality as more important than the
well-being of his parishioner...

Manfred

--
Manfred Hensel