[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Military records

gpvjem at sasktel.net gpvjem at sasktel.net
Sun Jan 29 14:47:23 PST 2017

    My paternal Grandfather immigrated from Poland to Volhynia with
his parents in 1873.  In 1878, at the age of 21, he returned to
Poland  "to fulfill his military duty" as he stated in his brief
memoir.  He returned to Volhynia after serving 5 1/2 tears in the
Russian army, as a pay Officer.
   I have no idea why this return to Poland took place for military
duty.  He spoke Russian, Polish and of course German, which may have
been one reason for his position in the Russian army.  He was also
well educated for the time.  At the time of his death (in Canada) he
was a month short of 101 years but still carried himself ram-rod
straight which I try to emulate at a much younger age. 8>)

John Marsch