[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Possible twins, wrong dates, or something else?

Sigrid Pohl Perry perry1121 at aol.com
Mon Mar 6 14:49:32 PST 2017

Sarah,

I, too, have looked at these. Here's the brief version:

#276  Lublin 10/22 Sep 1881 (date death is reported)
Michael Braun, 27 (father)
Friedrich Depner, 29 , Kobylki
reported that Ferdinand Braun, 5 weeks 4 days died yesterday, i.e. 9/21
Sep 1881
son of Michael & Mathilda nee Depner Braun.

from a compilation table:
9/21 Sep 1881 (date of death)
Michael Braun, 27 & Friedrich Depner, 29, Kobylki
reported on the death of Ferdinand Braun, 5 weeks 4 days
son of 1st witness & Mathilda nee Depner Braun.

#232  Lublin 2/14 Aug 1882 (baptism date)
Michael Braun, 26 (father), Kobylki
Mathilda nee Depner, 25, (mother)
Ferdinand born yesterday, i.e. 1/13 Aug 1882
witnesses/godparents: Ferdinand Depner, 31; Friedrich Depner, 27;
Theophilie Depner

compilation table: death record
Michael Braun, 25 (father) & Mathilda Depner Braun
death of Ludwig Braun, 4 days old on 25 Jul/6 Aug 1881 in Szczecin
additional witness Martin Albrecht, 40

I don't have any explanation why there are no birth records for
Ferdinand and Ludwig from August 1881 unless they were anxious the twins
wouldn't survive. One died four days after birth, the other about a
month later. The dates don't quite match up, but we often find that on
these death reports by the fathers, the stats don't quite match up. It
is very common for a child born later to be named after one who died in
infancy. This couple had many children and quite a few of them died.
They also seemed to live sometimes in Kobylki and other years in
Szczecin. The two are adjacent villages and perhaps there was other
family in one of them.

Best,
Sigrid Pohl Perry